Saturday, June 03, 2006

Feast or Famine

Ok, more things to back up my belief that things either happen all at once or not at all. Back in March, I was teaching a class at the online university that I've been working with since about 2000, taking a class in my MBA program and trying to get a group presentation done, plus that little thing called "a day job" that supports my yarn and pattern book habit and our home improvement projects. I also went to Hawaii on a cruise for two weeks while trying to do all of this (here's a pic from the trip of Sandy, me, Jim, his mom Peggy and his aunt Vicki, from left to right)


and so when I got back I said I wasn't taking a summer class, I wasn't teaching a summer class, and all I was going to do this summer was lie out by the pool and knit.

Well, that just went right out the window. The scheduling person at the online university where I've been teaching asked me yesterday if I want to teach Federal Taxation I (an undergrad course) starting 6/19 and of course, me, thinking of the TWO new air conditioners we need to replace (they say 1987 on them and one just completely died) said "Sure!". They also asked me to update both undergrad courses for a new 2007 book edition, and of course, you know what my answer was. The same day things heated up at my day job and I am going to be busy there too. So it never rains but pours, to quote one of those adages my mom would say when I was a kid.

Unfortunately, things seem to happen in waves on the personal side too - I've gone to two funerals in the last two weeks and two of my other friends have parents who have gotten sick in that same time frame. So anyway, here's hoping that cycle is over! Let's talk knitting...


Knitting - here's the ribbon tunic in Pomegranate Tartelette from Teva's book - just waiting for my ebay yarn to arrive to do the 2nd half!



And Bob's Basketweave Cardigan -

Now...


And here's what it will look like when it's done....


I'll have more knitting related stuff tomorrow as I'm leaving to visit Peggy's Strands of Heaven in Plainfield (to return the unopened Jaeger Roma), Perfect Touch Yarns in Joliet and Stitch and Hook in Shorewood. I decided to combine them for my next Windy City Knitting Guild review as they're all in the Joliet area. Talk to you soon!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Bob's sweater is going to be beautiful. I really do like the yarn.

With all the work you have to do this summer, are you going to have any time to take a vacation? I know the money looks good, but you need to be able to relax too.

That's all, I won't preach any more. Take care

6/03/2006 06:50:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Thanks on Bob's sweater. Actually after the 2 week Hawaii cruise, I don't have too much vacation time left - I'm planning to take it between Christmas and New Year's. And we have summer hours right now, so I'm off Friday afternoons - and we're going to Galena one weekend in July for our company outing and Kansas the next for the reunion (are you going?)

Robin

6/03/2006 09:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think we're going to make the reunion. I don't think I can do that long a trip in a short time. I really hate to miss it, but I don't think I have a choice.

6/04/2006 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

How did you like the other yarn stores in the Joliet area? I'm not a fan of Stitch and Hook, but it's good in a pinch. I haven't been to the other one yet...I'll have to check it out.

6/05/2006 07:58:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Cool, Lisa - I want to see that sweater. Was that the one made with the orangey/red Rowanspun DK? What pattern book is the new sweater from? You don't have much to do on Rogue, from what I remember?

6/05/2006 07:59:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Amanda, I agree - S&H had lots of "craft yarn" (I sometimes call it "crap yarn") and not much of anything else except Cascade. The owner is a nice lady, but yeah, I can see why you wouldn't be a regular there. Perfect Touch Yarns was someone's house in the middle of a residential neighborhood! More on that later when I do my blog posting.....

6/05/2006 08:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

6/27/2006 11:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home