Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Woolly Mammoth and SKB Progress

I worked on one of my UFOs, the Jaeger Natural Fleece "Zennor" sweater from JB36 and I am not so pleased to report that it is officially a woolly mammoth.

91706 001



91706 002



Last year when I made the pieces of this, I wasn't yet savvy enough to read the finished measurements and think about whether they would work on my body. Hmmm. I knitted this thing to gauge, and made the 36" size, but the finished measurement is 40" (which it does so measure.) Never mind the fact that now, in my quasi-right mind, would NEVER have made something that involved fur, even non-fun fur, of any color. Yep, I don't think this one's leaving the house.



It was supposed to look like the picture below, which I think it does except for the sleeves, which I sewed together post-assembly to control the flappy sleeve problem.



91706 004


I mean, i did reknit these sleeves already and shortened them, but the open flaps of the sleeves when originally knit were almost to my elbows!!!! Basically chalk it up to something made for someone who's 6'0" (but the body is freakishly short - I didn't alter that, that is following the pattern.) It is 100% wool, so maybe it could be shrunk (felted) in the washing machine. But then you'd lose the uneven, thick and thin "natural" fleece texture of the wool. My husband went as far as to suggest wool repurposing but I figured I got this far, might as well keep it in one piece now.




SKB progress - am thinking of leaving these sleeves 3/4 length. Noooo, not out of laziness - just because I like 3/4 length sleeves. But I'm not totally sure yet - thoughts are appreciated. I figured I'd do the other side to the same length and then decide. I decided also not to do any more increases as I think these are flared enough as is.


91706

5 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

You can still wear the Woolly Mammoth around the house when it's cold! It really doesn't look bad to me, but I don't know what you look like. I made a tank once, it was pre blog & let's just say I worked under the assumption I was 6 sizes larger than I am. The SKB is really nice, love the colorway.

9/17/2006 06:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your SKB looks amazing!!! Way more than makes up for the first project... I feel your pain.

9/18/2006 09:17:00 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

I am tempted to leave my SKB with 3/4 length sleeves out of laziness! I can't stand using those DPN's. I think yours would look very cute that way.

9/20/2006 01:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! This is a tad cheeky, but I'm hoping you can help me out of my muddle!! I too am knitting the Wooly Mammoth. I've just begun the sleeves and with my limited knitting experience am totally baffled by the 2nd section. How on earth do you cast on 16st in C, join in MS, then using MS K to last 2sts, then K2 in C??? Did you work a bit of magic there?!
Barbara

2/14/2007 07:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,
I didn't have your email address so I thought I would reply here. I believe I did follow the exact directions you noted, but I ultimately had a loop between the first section of C and the second section of C. I don't know why I didn't think about it more while I was working on it, but I ended up cutting the loop and weaving in each end, with more of C. Does that make any sense?

I've since moved my blog to typepad (yarncrawl.typepad.com)so feel free to stop by and visit me there.

Robin

2/14/2007 07:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home