Saturday, October 07, 2006

Got my Handspun from Julie!

10706

Just look at this - it's beautiful! This was what I got when I gave Julie $40 for her wheel fund - she was giving 50g of handspun for each $10 donated. She ordered her wheel pretty quickly, as a lot of people thought this was a great idea and donated. I think she should do this as a side business, but I'm sure it is a lot of work. I'm especially impressed by the fact that she spun this by hand on a drop spindle - I know I could never do that - plus it is amazingly professional looking, like something I would buy at a yarn shop.

I think she gave me the lighter lavender as some kind of "bonus" too as the tag on one of the two others says 200g - approx 330 yards, and that it is 70% navajo churro and 30% mohair. I never heard of navajo churro but the yarn is a very nice texture, and that's more yardage than I expected for sure! Thanks Julie!!!

It's not going to be a happy knitting weekend, unfortunately, as I have two big papers for my classes that I need to work on (that are due in a few weeks) and Jim and I are playing 9 holes of golf this afternoon with one of my co-workers and her husband. I'm looking forward to the golf, the papers - not so much (reminds me of that meme a while back asking what else you were procrastinating about while knitting) so that all adds up to no finished objects this weekend. BLAH!

In other news, I may be going on the MBA trip to Germany and Austria in May. I only have four more classes, two of which are electives, and this would be a nice way to get one of the electives done to finish in May 2008 instead of December 2008. (Yeah, I've only been taking one class at a time in Fall and Spring - what I refer to as the "slacker plan".)

If I went crazy and took two classes at a time, which is a little hard to do this term b/c I'm taking the online class for the graduate certificate at another university, then I could finish a lot sooner, but I already have one master's degree (in tax) so I really don't need to drive myself insane to get this one done. When I was doing the first one, I really wanted to get done quickly as there were immediate promotion/pay increases I saw on the horizon, but this one is really more of something I wanted for myself and my own experience.

So it's not really the "finishing sooner" that's motivating me (although that is a nice perk) but the trip itself. The only part of Germany Jim and I have been to is Hamburg, as one stop on one of our cruises a few years ago. We usually like cruising for our vacations so we would be unlikely to put together a land tour like the one they are offering, plus my last two companies have been associated with the auto industry in one way or another and Germany is an excellent place for me to go from that standpoint. So, I think I'm going to go, and Jim may come along too, depending on if they have space for spouses at the end of the day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

I am going to Germany! If Jim decides not to go maybe we can room together... There is so much free time, I am sure we can find some yarn stores :-)

I have been to Munich before, so I kind of remember some cool places to go. At least I remember where the Hoffbrauhaus is!

10/07/2006 08:33:00 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Robin, sorry I didn't label you rbonus yarn :) I knew that If I didn't get the package together right then, it would have to wait another day. It's 50% wool, 50% silk, and I dyed it with the remainder of the plum dye from the other yarn. Since the handspun wasn't terribly soft I wanted to send along something that was! :)

10/07/2006 09:55:00 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Cool! Don't forget to check out LYSs while you're there! The handspun is beautiful, got any projects in mind?

10/07/2006 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great yarn! And if you go to Germany or Austria - don't forget to wave to me!

10/08/2006 07:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home